Sunday, June 23, 2013

Austrian Snow for a Kiwi

I have mentioned in one of my earlier post, one of my best friends lives in New Zealand. She spent half a year as an exchange student at my old school and she loved it here. Especially snow had taken a toll on her (it was winter time during her exchange). What to us seemed normal growing up in Austria was strange and fascinating to her.

While Christmas is linked with snow for us, for her it meant sitting together with friends at the beach. While we, when we were younger, spent our Christmas breaks building snowmen or sleigh riding, she went hiking, swimming or sunbathing. This is why, during her stay in Austria, we, meaning my friends and I, used ever spare time and snow to relive our childhood memories with snow for her, our Kiwi friend to whom this all was new and so wonderful. I will never forget how proud she was of her first snowman and how she laughed while trying to catch snowflakes with her tongue.

She went back to New Zealand and she's been missing snow and winter in Austria ever since. Therefor, last winter, I decided to send her snow. Okay, I have to confess not real snow but instant snow. I got it from the internet and hoped she would like it aaaaaaand she did. She tried it out as soon as she had it and built a tiny snowman. Although it isn't quite like the snow we have, it's something. The really good thing about the instant snow is that it's not too cold, you can let it snow even during the hottest summer and it's reusable. So let it snow, let it snow, let it snow - whenever you want. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment